Restricted Access

You must be logged in to view this content.

Smart glasses for the vision impaired launch in Australia

$currentPage/@nodeName

By Rhiannon Riches
Assistant Editor

The Royal Society for the Blind is launching the third generation of eSight electronic ‘smart’ glasses onto the Australian market.

The eSight technology patented engineering was developed in Canada.

eSight 3 Launch Video

Andrew Davies, Adaptive Technology Manager at The Royal Society for the Blind, said the Adelaide charity was delighted to be the first national product sponsor for eSight’s glasses.

‘While the device cannot assist those who are totally blind, over 85 per cent of those who are legally blind have some usable vision that can be enhanced by eSight’s glasses,’ he said.

eSight is now available for purchase through The Royal Society for the Blind and is expected to retail for $13,000.

The society has reported that it is looking at the potential to be able to include the purchase of eSight glasses funded by the National Disability Insurance Scheme or supported from fundraising for its clients.

Contact The Royal Society for the Blind on 08 8417 5599 for information on how to trial or purchase eSight glasses.

14 comments for “Smart glasses for the vision impaired launch in Australia”

1. Gravatar of Wendy BateWendy Bate
    Posted Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 7:02:41 PM

How can I organise this what is the first step please.

2. Gravatar of Andrew DaviesAndrew Davies
    Posted Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 3:40:06 PM

Hi Wendy, if you could give the Royal Society for the Blind a call on 08 8417 5599. We will be able to arrange a demonstration and answer any questions you may have.

3. Gravatar of MERVYN BASSERABIEMERVYN BASSERABIE
    Posted Monday, November 27, 2017 at 4:54:13 PM

where can I SEE THEM IN SYDNEY?

4. Gravatar of SueSue
    Posted Friday, March 16, 2018 at 11:22:23 AM

Could my mum have a home demostration she lives in Ryde NSW

5. Gravatar of Merina Firth Merina Firth
    Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 2:18:00 AM

Hi I would love to give my son the best 16 year present his sight back but I can’t afford this amazing technology you have got can you please help me in anyway at the age of 6 year old my son was told he stargarths his has struggled even more so in teenage year even being bullied at his last school it breaks my heart seeing so sad and after seeing this device it may put the hope back please can you help us make a birthday wish come true. We live In Perth Western Australia and my son name is Nelson Firth and 16th birthday is on the 16 July 2002

6. Gravatar of Martin Mozeley Martin Mozeley
    Posted Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 4:13:44 PM

Hi. I’m desperately seeking info on this amazing thing. My father became legally blind 25 years ago. He has his peripheral vision but no central vision.
    He has never been able to truly see his grandchildren, or even now his great grandchildren. He’s 76. It would be priceless to be able to see them, and so many more things he’s missed with your help.
    Please get back to me.
    We live on the mid north coast. Can get to Sydney or Brisbane if needed.
    Martin Mozeley

7. Gravatar of OLGA DAFNEROSOLGA DAFNEROS
    Posted Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 10:04:25 AM

How, or is it possible to get a home demo. for my 66 yr old brother please.

8. Gravatar of YinkaYinka
    Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 11:21:32 PM

My mom has a tunnel view in one eye and has no vision in the other eye. Can the electronic glasses enhance her tunnel vision pls?

9. Gravatar of Annie BrownAnnie Brown
    Posted Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 11:13:14 PM

How can we trya pair of these in the United States? My 85 year old mother has a tiny bit of sight (shadows mostly but some days she sees colors and shapes) in her right eye. She desperately needs these as she has lost the will to live and is degenerating quickly.
    Thank you.

10. Gravatar of Rayna CldwellRayna Cldwell
    Posted Monday, June 18, 2018 at 10:19:17 AM

Hi there,
    I am interested in trial using and if they work purchasing the glasses for my son who has Albinism and is legally blind.
    Could you please contact me ASAP via return email or on 0434425758.

Kind regards,
    Rayna

11. Gravatar of PriyankaPriyanka
    Posted Monday, August 20, 2018 at 3:06:47 AM

Hi,
    My father became legally blind due to the injection of silicon oil to eye ball done due to medical reasons after a retinal detachment. Please let me know a way to purchase e sight glasses from Sri Lanka. Please contact me via email.
    Thanks!

12. Gravatar of Optometry AustraliaOptometry Australia
    Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 11:52:41 AM

Optometry Australia has responded directly to this message.

13. Gravatar of Dr. AyeDr. Aye
    Posted Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 1:59:13 AM

My uncle couldn't see properly due to repeated operations and laser treatments to his both eyes. I want to buy eSight glasses for him. He can come to Sydney. Please direct me where I can buy them. Please contact me to this email. Thanks.

14. Gravatar of Optometry AustraliaOptometry Australia
    Posted Monday, September 10, 2018 at 10:57:50 AM

We do not distribute this product. We recommend contacting the Royal Society for the Blind on 08 8417 5599 for information on how to trial or purchase eSight glasses.

Like us on Facebook