Recent Graduate membership
It has been a pleasure to meet many Immediate Graduates from the University of Melbourne 2018 cohort over recent months. We hope that you are enjoying your new career in optometry.
As you may be aware, your six-month Optometry Victoria (OV) Immediate Graduate membership will expire on 30 June 2019.
You will then be eligible for a twelve-month Recent Graduate membership.
We recognise that it can be challenging establishing your career in optometry, which is why our Recent Graduate membership offers a significant discount compared to the usual membership rate.
Twelve-month Recent Graduate membership for 2019-20 is $1,212. This is a discount of $799 on full-time membership for the same period.
Recent Graduate membership continues to provide you with all the benefits of OV membership, including full professional indemnity insurance, to ensure your peace of mind while you practice.
How to update your membership
All Immediate Graduate members will receive an email from Optometry Victoria in mid-May about membership renewal. Members can renew online through the member portal. Simply log-in, click on the 'My Membership' tab, click on 'Subscription' and follow the prompts.
Alternatively you will be able to call the office on (03) 9652 9100 during business hours and one of our staff can assist you. If you are experiencing financial hardship please contact the office to discuss the option of a payment plan.
Please note that if you do not retain your membership with OV you will need to source professional indemnity insurance elsewhere.
You cannot legally practice as an optometrist in Victoria without current professional indemnity insurance that meets the Optometry Board of Australia’s requirements.
We are here to help you, so please contact us at any time, if you have questions or issues.
Benefits of membership
Optometry Australia's professional indemnity insurance is provided by BMS Risk Solutions Pty Ltd and Lloyds of London. This new PII cover provides members with a product that far exceeds the minimum requirements imposed by the Optometry Board of Australia for registered optometrists. This new cover now includes assistance with regulatory complaints, civil lawsuits, criminal charges and cyber crime. The full policy, summary of features and certificate of currency are available here (you will need your member number and password to access the page).
Other benefits of OV membership include:
- free Early Career Optometrists Victoria (ECOV) CPD events that are specifically designed to support early career optometrists;
- evidence-based CPD and networking opportunities including O=MEGA19 which is a brand new conference which replaces SRC. O=MEGA19 will be the largest optometry conference in the southern hemisphere
- confidence that the best interests of the profession are represented at the highest levels in Canberra, through our national advocacy including a current campaign focused on the 2019 federal election;
- professional and clinical advice, including advice on employment contracts, that is immediate, free, confidential and tailored;
- receiving up-to-the-minute industry news and issues through our Scope magazine, publications and journals, website and social media, and
- significant discounts on professional, travel, lifestyle and retail products and services through the Member Benefits Advantage program.
Your membership with OV supports not only you as an individual, but the profession as a whole. Eighty-eight per cent of practicing optometrists in Victoria are members of OV. By maintaining a united voice optometry is stronger and more effective.