Welcome to Optometry Victoria’s student membership page
On this page you can find out more about the benefits of student membership and how to join.
Optometry Victoria is the only professional organisation in the state that is committed to supporting individual optometrists throughout every stage of their career. Over 90 per cent of practicing optometrists are members of Optometry Victoria.
We provide services to a vital and vibrant community of optometrists. Optometry students are the future of that community.
Optometry Victoria is also a powerful and trusted voice at all levels of government. We work with Optometry Australia in the fight to reduce the erosion of Medicare benefits, to expand the capacity of optometrists to charge what they're worth and to expand the scope of practice. However as one of the smallest professions in Medicare it is essential that we are united as a profession. There is strength and influence in numbers and we need to maintain our relevance in order to effectively advocate in relation to the range of issues affecting members.
In order to become a student member, a student must be enrolled in a tertiary course in Victoria, the successful completion of which will mean that they will be eligible for registration with AHPRA to practise optometry in Victoria.
How to apply
To join as a student member simply complete the student membership application form, and email it to email@example.com or post to 28 Drummond Street, Carlton Victoria 3053.
Benefits of Student membership
All our student members receive emails from Optometry Victoria about relevant events and information, as well as Optometry Australia’s Weekly Alert email.
All student members can access Optometry Australia and Optometry Victoria publications online. All student members will also receive a complimentary copy of Scope, Optometry Victoria's bi-monthly member magazine, which keeps you up to date on member activities and issues affecting optometry in Victoria.
If you’re in your final year of study, we will send you the following Optometry Australia publications free of charge.
- Clinical and Experimental Optometry – an internationally-recognised bi-monthly journal for clinical optometry and vision science, and;
- Optometry Pharma – an up to date magazine reporting on the latest in ocular therapeutics and disease management, a must for students who want to learn more in this rapidly-developing field.
As a student member you can access Optometry Victoria’s and Optometry Australia’s resources and information including, clinical guidelines, practice information, updates on advocacy campaigns and legislative issues, and much more.
Simply click on ‘Member Login’ on the bottom right of the page. Please note that you will need your member number and password to log in.
Individual support and information
We have extensive experience in helping students to get started in their careers. Call and speak to us confidentially about:
- employment issues, including understanding and negotiating your first job or contract;
- how to register with AHPRA, and obtain a Medicare and PBS provider number, and
- any other questions you may have about optometry practice.
Events just for you
We regularly offer a number of popular sessions for students throughout the year including:
- ‘Getting Registered’ where we provide practical information about the process of becoming an optometrist, obtaining a Medicare provider number and a PBS provider number;
- Careers Expo at SRC. Join us to meet and chat with future employers from across Victoria and,
- the Immediate Graduates dinner for newly graduated optometrists.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (03) 9652 9100.